Friday, January 7, 2011

January Copycat: Pottery Barn inspired winter mantlescape

I do enjoy the de-cluttered feeling that is left after all the Christmas decorations are taken down and put away. (This year I even managed to take it down by Dec 31. Which is a triumph over last years Christmas/Valentine's Day decor fiasco...) Yet after all the clutter is gone the house feels Stark and naked. My mantle is the first thing a person sees when they walk into my canyon home. It sets the tone and makes the first impression and it just seemed so, well, naked. I want to do something that reminds you of winter but not the holidays so I decided this month's copycat would be a winter mantle scape.

After searching the kingdom over for inspiration, my heart lept for joy when I found this beautiful Pottery Barn winter mantle scape:

Isn't it stunning? I love the layers, the mix of metals and winter white and the warm glow from the candles. There is just one problem- the eggs. I dont like them and they are deffintely spring not winter so I'll have to winterize it and make it my own. I also have a new years resolution that applies to this project. Mr Copycat and I have resolved to be better with our money this year so all Copycats big and small can enjoy more things together as a family. For me, that means a few less shopping trips and re purposing and reusing design items I already have to create my design visions for as little money as possible.
Lets take a look at the design elements from a copycat perspective:


So with my new year's resolutions on my mind and a list made from the items shown above, I set out to find the items I needed hidden in my house and buried in my garage.

I found everything I needed. A few years ago I had bought a twig candelabra that I just adored and painted it white. That will be my centerpiece. I also found a few candlestick holders- white wood, glass and pewter at garage sales and have used them all over my house. I also unburied a few apothecary jars and borrowed a few battery operated candles from my bedroom. As for the nature elements, I just nabbed a few twigs lying around beneath the oak tree in my back yard and tied it all together using a few pages out of an old book. Here's how it turned out:


And I put together a collage of my favorite parts:


Here's a side by side comparison:


I am so happy with my January Pottery barn inspired mantlescape and how it turned out and am now writing my post by its warm, wintry glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment